Thursday, January 15, 2009

Reading the article on Indonesia's ferry accident made me think.
Life really is fragile, no matter how you look at it.
A stroke, a fire, a tsunami, or, in this case, a sinking ferry.
Death comes in unexpected ways.

I imagine, being on that ferry. Amongst so many other countrymen, all waiting for the vessel to bring us to our destination. Losing my life would be the last thing on my mind.

Disasters can hit us anytime, anywhere. Take the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami for instance. Wives of fishermen and their children awaited their arrival at the beaches, while tourists looked out their hotel windows, enjoying the view. But within a few minutes, everything within reach of the huge waves became a mess of destroyed buildings and screaming people.

Maybe, from this, people should learn to treasure their lives more. Live their days more meaningfully. But the idea never does actually sink into one's head. Without a firsthand account of an actual disaster or near-death experience, who would truly realize how precious life is, or how easily lost it can be? Even sitting here in front of the computer screen and typing all this out, I know I have never fully appreciated this life given to me.

I guess what makes people brush off the thought of dying, possibly in the next second, is our never ending string of things to do. There is always somewhere to go, meetings to attend, studying to do, that we never stop to think of whats important.


okay i decided to stop here cuz I think this topic of treasuring life is SO CLICHE. =_=
ah well.. gotta start thinking more of what to write now. sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment